In August 2009, Isaiah began working with Outagamie County's Birth to 3 Early Intervention Program. We learned in October 2009 that he was to be classified as SDD - Significant Developmental Delay. He began receiving services through the Appleton Area School District around the time of his 3rd birthday (November 21, 2009) in the areas of speech/language and early childhood.
I spoke with one of Isaiah's Birth to 3 teachers during his last week of services regarding signs of Autism. At that time, we made an appointment with his pediatrician, Dr. Henry, who referred us to a developmental pediatrician out of the Waisman Center at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. I promptly called that office to make an appointment...for 8 months later. That's right! It really does take that long to get in to see the doctor.
Isaiah's appointment in Madison was on June 29th. I had filled out a great deal of paperwork and sent it thru the mail several months ago, and we spent the first 45 minutes or so of the appointment discussing its contents and answering some questions about Isaiah that Dr. Iyama had. Dr. Iyama then played with Isaiah for the next 45 minutes or so before we filled out a behavioral checklist with the doctor, similar to the M-CHAT. Once everything was taken into consideration, it was determined that Isaiah does fall on the spectrum. His official diagnosis is ASD - Autism Spectrum Disorder.
The purpose of this blog is to keep everyone informed of Isaiah's appointments, therapies, and progress. I will do my best to update this regularly. You might want to subscribe to the RSS feed, so that you are aware of when it is updated. My first post is loaded with extra links. As I use terminology that is new to us (so maybe to you, too), I will insert links so that you can learn with us.
- becky